Sunday, October 10, 2010

Dkaha Streets

Dhaka - Day 5 or so

So I decide to go out to the market for the first time by myself. No, i don't know much Bangla yet, making the outing a little bit scary. But hey, you can't just stay in the Guest House the whole time, right? So I get my phrasebook and map in the back pocket. My cell phone in the left front pocket. My video camera in the right front pocket. I've got money, keys, everything I need. I take a deep breath, walk to the front of the flat, and....open the bathroom door instead of the front door to go outside!! Aughhhhh!

Yeah, like I'm going to find my way back to the flat after the market!!

This first video is a typical street scene from Dhaka, but if your sound is turned up, you can also hear the Muslim Call to Prayer from the Minaret (tower) down the street:


Here's a local market, outside:


And inside, where they sell quite a variety of fish:



Not much to say to tonight - mostly, I just wanted to get these videos posted. I'm in Dhaka for some orientation, which is going splendidly! I'm really enjoying my time here so far! On Wed or Thu of this week, I'll travel to Bogra (about 5 hours by bus), where I'll spend 3 moths in Language Study. Then, finally, I get to settle down in Mymensingh, where I should be for the next 3 years or so. (It'll be nice to finally get OUT of these suitcases!!)

Feel free to comment below or drop me a line sometime! --Larry

1 comment:

  1. When I got to Brazil someone told me that the best way to get to know a new place is to get lost there. And it turned out to be true. So look at it this way, now you know where the bathroom is! Glad you are enjoying your adventure...

    ReplyDelete