Tuesday, October 12, 2010

To Bogra


I got SO MAD last night at my computer that I'm ready to switch to a MAC! I'm not just saying that - I'm totally ready.

A simple thing that always worked before: getting on Yahoo Games server to play chess with my daughter, Miranda. It kept saying that I had an "old version of the client in my cache" blah blah blah. I'm actually savvy enough to know what that means (how would your average user know??), so I proceeded to automatically and then manually clear IE's cache. But nothing worked. Same message, time after time after time. I even went so far as to uninstall and reinstall Java and Flash. No luck. I tried Firefox instead of IE. Nope. In fact, now it won't load Yahoo Games at all, much less take you to the individual game rooms.

I had been waiting several days to talk to the girls and play chess. I was SO frustrated w/ my Dell, Windows and Internet Explorer not working (Yahoo Games doesn't work on Chrome), that I went to bed early. It was one of those days where it's so bad that you just shut your eyes to make it stop!

Oh, did I mention that I used to own my own computer business, and that people called on ME to fix THEIR computers??? Don't bother calling anymore - I'll be on a Mac!

You know, this brings up an interesting point, or lack thereof. For my Christian friends who believe that God is in all the little details of our lives, I could easily determine that this is God's way of telling me that it's time to switch! And if that's true, then wouldn't it follow that God is in favor of Macs in general and that we should all be using them??

Or, if you're more like me (less like yourself?) and you are more in line with the (still Christian) view that "the rain falls on the just and unjust alike", then I guess we'd conclude that I just had a bad day and that God doesn't really care what kind of computer I use.

Either way, I'm pretty p.o.-ed at Microsoft right now...and it's not the first time. Goodbye, Mr. Gates - I'm in search of a real computer! Imagine, as someone posted recently at PC World, that your car ran on Windows - would we stand for a blue screen of death on the day of the big meeting? Would we still buy the car if the A/C and radio only worked if they were turned on in the right order?? Sheeeesh.

I've gotta go - today's going to be an adventure! I'm travelling to Bogra for language study. 5 hours on a nice bus, bad roads. Probably more like 7 hours from door to door! Oh, and this is my NEXT-TO-LAST MOVE in the suitcases!! Yeah!! It's Bogra for 3 months and then on to my assignment in Mymensingh.... se Deus quiser! (God willing and the creek don't rise - loose translation)

Larry Jones
(posting from *GULP* a Windows machine...possibly for the last time!!)

3 comments:

  1. You're hilarious, Larry. Glad to hear your smiling voice (through the words you typed). BTW, Macs can be frustrating, too... and that's coming from a guy who used to be a Mac tech. I certainly wouldn't discourage you, though! Generally a better overall experience, IMHO

    Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Larry
    Once again, thanks for the laughs. Enjoy.
    Rabon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to figure out how to factory restore my eee PC today, because it has a trojan downloader on it that I can't get off. :( I can't figure out why they give you a Restore DVD with the computer if the computer does not have a DVD drive. Wouldn't it make more sense to give you a Restore Flash Drive with the computer? Maybe I should change to Mac too.

    ReplyDelete